Will I have to do jail time? 5 Answers as of July 12, 2013

What is the usual sentence for a failure to appear for a show cause hearing with a original charge of larceny?

It will depend on a variety of factors including who the judge is, what the prosecutor recommends, and your reason for not showing up. The judge could place you in jail without bail for the remainder of the case, but that is not set in stone. The judge may just set your bail higher. You really need to get this taken care of right away because you do not want to get pulled over with an outstanding bench warrant. Waiting can only make the matter worse.
Law Office of Martin Blank
Law Office of Martin Blank | Martin E. Blank
Since you are indicating a "show cause" I assume you mean failure to appear for a probation violation. Jail always depends on the judge and circumstances. However, if you increase your violation by not appearing for a show cause, then once you are in front of the judge you increase you chance of going to jail.
It's hard to say without knowing more facts. Was it a felony or misdemeanor? Click on the link at the left to discuss.
The answer to your question will depend on a number of things. Your Judge, the Court you are in, the circumstances of missing Court, whether you had prior violations, your prior record, and other things need to be known before any guess can be made as to whether or not you will serve any jail time. The best suggestion is for your to meet with an attorney and discuss your case. Should you wish to make an appopintment with my firm, you may contact me to discuss a date and time when we can meet.
Law Office of Gary Lazar
Law Office of Gary Lazar | Gary Lazar
You have not given enough details for a reasonable answer. Important facts are what court, what judge, what else is on your criminal record, how long ago was the missed hearing, why did you fail to show up, are you on probation anywhere? The answer to these questions would allow for a calculated prediction.