Will I have residency problems because my father did not report me? 7 Answers as of January 16, 2011

I am a green card holder planning to be a us citizen, but my father who petitioned me did not declare that he has a son when he came to US. He did the same when he got his US citizenship, he did not declare me that he have a son. Is it going to affect me to become a us citizen? Or could there be a problem that will lead me to a deportation?

Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A.
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A. | Carlos Sandoval
I don't think it will give you a problem since you are already a resident.
The truth is, it won't hurt you, if you have backed up your green card application with an accurate certified public copy of your birth certificate (you had to or you wouldn't have received your green card!). But it will hurt your father. Failure to reveal important biographical information on an application for an immigration benefit, including naturalization, is immigration document fraud. He can get deported for it. If you aren't interested in retaliating against him, you don't have to make a point of what he did. However, you have to reveal who he is, and that he is a citizen. What the immigration authorities will do (likely nothing at all, they have bigger fish to fry), is up to them. If you would like assistance in preparing your naturalization application, feel free to e-mail or phone me, to set up an appointment to hold a consultation. Best to you.
Since your father is now a U.S. citizen and did not try to obtain a benefit for you on the basis of his relationship to you I do not see how his failure to acknowledge you on his immigration forms will pose a problem to you. Failing to include you may have been an oversight or he may have thought since he wasn't applying for your benefits he did not need to name you. Whatever it is he would be the one to have to explain his omission.

I assume you have correctly named your father as your father on both your permanent residency forms and your U.S. citizenship forms; if not this should be discussed further.
441 Legal Group, Inc.
441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
No it should not be an issue for you.
No, should not be a problem. What is important is that when he petitioned you for a green card, he presumably did so as your father.