Will I have problems traveling because of my misdemeanor? Posted on May 19, 2011

I am an US resident in Fl and I just got my "Letter of Nolle Prosequi after completion of Misdemeanor Intervention Program" from the court today. I want to travel overseas and want to be there for more than 1 year. I am trying to find out if me applying for the Travel Document would cause any problems for myself with the USCIS. The letter of completion says this: "The state of Florida, by and through the undersigned Assistant State Attorney, and pursuant to Florida Statutes 948.08(5), having been informed that the defendant has successfully completed the MIP, and having determined that dismissal of charges without prejudice is appropriate in this cause due to the defendant's successful completion of MIP, hereby enters a Nolle Prosequi in the above-styled cause". The misdemeanor is a first degree one for shop-lifting. Should I just go apply for the Travel Doc. with no fear or is the immigration going to look different at this problem I had with the law? This was my first offense and I plead not guilty. Are there any risks of being deported or not being admitted into the US later (from traveling overseas) because of this misdemeanor? And do I have a Criminal Record now if the case was dismissed? Thank you so much for your help!