Will I go to jail for a social hosting soon after getting caught? 8 Answers as of August 02, 2013

I'm 18 years old and I got caught shoplifting a little less than $40 in shorts from a department store about 4 months ago. Security stopped me as I was leaving the store and I was told to come to the back with them. I was given documents to sign such as admitting to shop lifting and that I won't enter the store anymore. I didn't get arrested and paid a civil charge (I think that's what it's called) of $50. But then I a week ago, I received a summons ticket to go to court for social hosting a party with underage alcohol drinkers that happened 2 months ago. If the department store finds out about this, will I go to jail?

Gregory Casale Attorney at Law
Gregory Casale Attorney at Law | Gregory Casale
You could certainly beat jail if you have a good lawyer.
What do you think is the relationship between the department store and the ticket for social hosting. The department store is not the police. They do not care about anything outside of the department store. You are truly ignorant. You need to discontinue relationships with your friends, go back to school and really educate yourself. You are going to have a hard life, If you think that you are not in the bottom third on intelligence right now.
You will not go to jail. In Washington, you have committed a gross misdemeanor with a penalty range of 364 days in jail and $5,000. For your first offense, you will likely be sentenced to attend a consumer awareness class, do community service, pay a fine, pay restitution , stay away from the store, have no further criminal violations and be on probation for one year.
Petty theft is a crime of moral turpitude, and if convicted you can kiss your career aspirations goodbye.
The Rogers Law Firm
The Rogers Law Firm | Andrea Storey Rogers
No. The department store won't know about the social hosting ticket unless you tell them about it. The store can still decide to file a police report for shoplifting, and the prosecutor has 1 year to press charges for a misdemeanor.
    If the police were never summoned on the shoplifting, why are you worried about the store learning of your hosting matter? The store has better things to do than follow you antics after the fact.
    Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
    The shoplifting charge will have no impact because you did not get arrested and convicted in court. But you still could face a jail sentence on the hosting charge. You should retain criminal defense counsel.
    Ryan M. Davidson Law Office | Ryan M. Davidson
    What the store does or does not know is unlikely to matter here. What the DA knows or does not know is going to matter quite a bit. But what's most important is that you need a criminal defense attorney to help you defend the current charge. Part of that will be figuring out whether the prior incident is going to matter.