Will I go to jail for filing taxes for my boyfriend? 1 Answers as of April 14, 2011

I am a single mother with one child and another on the way. I started dating this guy and while we were dating he got thrown in jail. While he was in jail he asked me to file his taxes so I did so, he also said that because we are living together when I get out go ahead and use that money on rent, so I did so. Then when he got out he changed his mind and is now threatening to file tax fraud on me unless I pay him 1,000 dollars. What would be the punishment if I just turned myself in, would I lose my kids.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
California's Largest Family of Attorneys
California's Largest Family of Attorneys | Doan Law Firm
Your boyfriend has NO legal authority to bring a tax fraud claim against you, only the IRS can do that. He can report you to the IRS; however, if he signed a power of attorney designating you to file his taxes OR if he signed his taxes, you should be fine. Please call us if you need help.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/14/2011
Click to View More Answers: