Will I go to jail by reporting to the walk in docket in the morning with having a bench warrant? 14 Answers as of March 11, 2013

I got a letter in mail stating I was being terminated from diversion due to not paying my fines, well on the back of the letter there was my court date I did not see until now, an officer calls me to let me know I have a bench warrant, so he told me to go to the walk in docket first thing in the morning, if I pay my fine in full will they still arrest me? It's a first time DV.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
Paying your fine means nothing unless you plan on pleading guilty and taking the probation or jail time that goes along with the conviction. IF there is a warrant, you should expect to go to jail.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 3/11/2013
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
If you pay the fines in full then the odds are you will walk back out but that can't be guaranteed.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 3/11/2013
Prater, Duncan & Craig, LLC
Prater, Duncan & Craig, LLC | John D Duncan
Depends on the judge. If you are going to dispose of your case when you arrive, the judge might be lenient and dispense with the warrant.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 3/8/2013
William L. Welch, III Attorney | William L. Welch, III
It's anybody's guess, whether someone in the court or in law-enforcement would be paying attention to that. If you have an outstanding warrant, then any law enforcement officer may arrest you upon learning about it. Perhaps if you have a good reason for having missed court previously, then the judge might consider recalling the warrant. Otherwise, you are supposed to surrender.
Answer Applies to: Maryland
Replied: 3/8/2013
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq. | John J. Carney
You should retain a lawyer to appear with you if you think the judge might put you in jail. You should be OK if you have the money to pay the fine.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 3/8/2013
    Austin Legal Services, PLC
    Austin Legal Services, PLC | Jared Austin
    It depends on a lot of factors. They could give you a PR bond or if the bond is low enough and you can post it, you won't have to worry about staying in jail. At least consult with a lawyer first to determine what bail might be and what factors the judge looks at it determining bail.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 3/8/2013
    Timothy J. Thill P.C.
    Timothy J. Thill P.C. | Timothy J. Thill
    It is impossible to say if you will be put in jail, but be sure, if you fail to appear and get arrested, you will go to jail. The sooner you take care of this, the more likely the judge will be to reinstate the matter to the active call and quash and recall the outstanding warrant. Explain clearly to the judge that you did not read the back of the notice you received earlier.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 3/8/2013
    Law Office of Jeff Yeh
    Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
    You should hire a lawyer to go to court to recall the warrant. A lawyer can do this without you present, so it is less risky for you.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 3/7/2013
    Freeborn Law Offices, P.S.
    Freeborn Law Offices, P.S. | Steve Freeborn
    It depends upon how the court operates. The warrant will probably be quashed and a new court date set. If that is the only issue then it is doubtful you will go to jail.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 3/7/2013
    Law Office of Eric Sterkenburg
    Law Office of Eric Sterkenburg | Eric Sterkenburg
    You need to go to the court that issued the bench warrant and have your case put on calendar for that day. Get there as soon as they open (normally around 8:30 am) and ask the bailiff how to do a walk in bench warrant. You should not go to jail if you are ready to pay your fines and you may be reinstated on diversion.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 3/7/2013
    Henry Lebensbaum | Henry Lebensbaum
    Hire a lawyer to help.
    Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
    Replied: 3/7/2013
    Law Offices of Marshall Tauber
    Law Offices of Marshall Tauber | Marshall Tauber
    Bring the money. You may be detained but it is likely they will let you go since you came in voluntarily. Have someone with you that you trust to hold the money and tell the judge that your person has your money to pay the fines and costs right now. This usually works and it is far better than being pick-up later on a bench warrant and taken in for the night or the weekend before you get to court.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 3/7/2013
    Connell-Savela | Jason Savela
    You can pay the fine over the phone by calling the clerk of court. It's possible that you will not even have to appear if you pay it. Call the court after you pay the fine.
    Answer Applies to: Colorado
    Replied: 3/7/2013
    The O'Hanlon Law Firm, P.C. | Stephen O'Hanlon
    What's a DV? Don't miss court. Explain to judge why you had hard time paying fine and ask for more time to pay. I don't know where this is but you shouldn't go to jail provided that you deal with it and don't try and be evasive.
    Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
    Replied: 3/7/2013
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney