Will I go to jail because I have been charged in Michigan with battery by police? 5 Answers as of August 31, 2011

If this is my first offense, are there alternatives to jail time for me? I was charged with battery the other night. I have on my record nothing else on my record. I live in Detroit.

If it's your first offense and no serious injury was done to the victim, then probation is a reasonable and likely option. There may be some way it can be kept off of your record, but I would need more info before I could answer that. Consult with an experienced criminal lawyer before agreeing to anything.
Nichols Law Firm
Nichols Law Firm | Michael J. Nichols
There are alternatives to jail. It depends on all the facts and your record. Consult an attorney.
The Law Office of John T. MacDonald Jr., PLLC
The Law Office of John T. MacDonald Jr., PLLC | John MacDonald Jr.
The charge of assault of a police officer is a felony and does carry jail time. However, it is critical you seek an attorney because it is possible that a plea deal can be made to favor your odds of avoiding jail time. If I can be of any help please feel free to give me a call 517-618-1933. Best of luck.
Probably not jail. You should certainly speak with an attorney to know your options in the case. Click on the link at the left to call me and discuss.
Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law
Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law | Jules Fiani
If you are under these charges you need to speak with a lawyer that specializes in this area of the law such as myself. In a situation like this, it is important to speak with an attorney immediately and seek representation. This is a difficult process and is very strenuous. Please call me so I can ask you additional questions and answer any of the questions you may have.