Will I go to jail and should I hire a probation violation attorney? 12 Answers as of April 16, 2013

This was my first time ever getting arrested. I was charged with a felony due to one pill of conserta, which is my sisters medication and .5 grams of marijuana. My probation was violated due to me failing a drug test for marijuana. I now can pass with flying colors but she now wants me serving my remaining probation in jail.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Seth L. Reszko
Since you are looking at spending time in jail, you should retain an attorney to represent your interests. I am not sure if you were previously represented by the public defender who should still represent you at any probation violation hearing.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 4/16/2013
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
IF PO is looking for balance in jail, you need to retain an attorney.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 4/15/2013
William L. Welch, III Attorney | William L. Welch, III
It's anybody's guess at this point what your sentence will be. Ultimately, sentencing depends on whether you are found in violation, your prior record, how serious these are in the court's eyes, mitigation, and allocution. Whether you should hire an attorney depends on how comfortable you are that you know the wall, procedure, rules of prosecutor, and judge well enough to risk doing time for this. An attorney can assist you with evaluating the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to plea bargain or go to trial. If you were to be found guilty, then an attorney can assist you with presenting mitigation, allocution, and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. Consider seeking a confidential consultation with an experienced criminal defense attorney. Beware that online posts are not confidential. If somehow the prosecution were to find your post, then it might be used in evidence against you.
Answer Applies to: Maryland
Replied: 4/15/2013
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
Get an attorney for the hearing. That person may be able to get you another chance.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 4/15/2013
Conway Law Pllc.
Conway Law Pllc. | B. L. Conway
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 4/14/2013
    Law Office of Russell A. Warren
    Law Office of Russell A. Warren | Russell A. Warren
    It is possible you could serve jail time and an attorney can benefit you in this situation. You should contact the attorney that handled your underlying case as he will have all of the information on your case file and be in the best position to deal with that.
    Answer Applies to: Missouri
    Replied: 4/14/2013
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney