Will I get a suspended license if I have a DUI in another state? 3 Answers as of April 12, 2011

I have a drivers license in California where I live. I got a DUI in Arizona. Will this cause my license to be suspended? How will this change my rights here or will I lose my license?

The Law Offices of Gabriel Dorman
The Law Offices of Gabriel Dorman | Gabriel Dorman
A DUI conviction in Arizona, will most likely result in a suspension of your California driver's license. This is because of the Interstate Drivers License Compact (IDLC). All but five states (Georgia, Massachusetts, Michigan, Tennessee, and Wisconsin) belong to the IDLC, which is based upon the concept that every driver in the country has a single drivers license and a single driving record. All states participating in the IDLC report driving arrests such as DUIs to each other. As such, Arizona will likely report your DUI conviction to California which will trigger an action against your drivers license. At this point, you should immediately contact an experienced California DUI attorney to fully evaluate your case and do everything possible to protect your license. I hope this answer was helpful. Good luck.
Yes. All the state DMVs are connected to the central database. If one suspends, they all suspend. It may take time to catch up to you, but it will happen. Id suggest you fight the AZ charges.
Law Office of Andrew Roberts
Law Office of Andrew Roberts | Andrew Stephen Roberts
If your license is suspended in AZ, it will be suspended in CA. You will also have to file an SR 22 and completion of whatever AZ requires you to do.