Will I get jail time for two misdemeanor charge? 5 Answers as of August 24, 2011

A park ranger gave me citation for resisting a ranger and alcohol. This happened in a state park. The alcohol is for drinking in state park and resisting a ranger for spilling open alcohol left in the car. This is not a DUI. Both are misdemeanor charges. Am I looking at jail time? This is my first offense. I am really tense because any jail time would ruin my career.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Austin Legal Services, PLC
Austin Legal Services, PLC | Jared Austin
Probably not, but it is a possibility. Probation is more than likely the outcome, but jail is always possible. You should retain a good criminal lawyer to help guide you through the process and do his best to make sure you stay out of jail. At least have one review the report for any errors that could get the charges reduced or dismissed. More than likely they will offer you some sort of plea bargain, maybe even plead to one charge and dismiss the other. That would be optimal as that would make you eligible for an expungement five years later provided no other charges are on your record.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 8/24/2011
Law Offices of Jeffery A. Cojocar, PC
Law Offices of Jeffery A. Cojocar, PC | Jeffery A. Cojocar
You need an attorney to keep you out of jail and represent your best interests.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 8/22/2011
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
Whether you have to serve time would be up to the judge. A good attorney may be able to get an agreement for no jail time or even maybe if you keep your nose clean then no conviction on your record. It depends on the facts of the case and your attorney.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 8/20/2011
Craig W. Elhart, P.C.
Craig W. Elhart, P.C. | Craig Elhart
Whether you would have time in jail be part of your sentence would depend on your record and other factors to be reviewed by the probation officer during the pre-sentence investigation. You may wish to hire an attorney to assist you and attempt to work out a plea bargain where you would only plea to one of the charges and, as part of the plea, have the prosecutor agree to seek no jail time.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 8/20/2011
Lewis & Dickstein, P.L.L.C.
Lewis & Dickstein, P.L.L.C. | Loren Dickstein
Jail is not commonly given for a first offense but I don't know enough about you or the offense to answer your question without more facts.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 8/19/2011
Click to View More Answers: