Will I get jail time for criminal mischief 4th degree and two counts of harassment? 2 Answers as of June 24, 2014

I am 19 years old from New York and I have court coming up. I was arrested for criminal mischief 4th and 2 harassment 2 chargers. I lost my temper in a local store and ending up cursing out 2 employees who filed a police report which is why I’m charged with the 2 harassments. As I was leaving, they yelled out the door at me I was already mad at the time I picked up a cardboard sign that was on the sidewalk and threw it at the window and it cracked which is why I have criminal mischief 4th degree. I have no prior arrests on my record. I do not want to go to jail. What is the worst that can happen? Will they let me pay a fine and do community service or probation and offer to take anger management to stay out of jail. Is there a way I can get the criminal mischief down to a violation if I pay the fine and community service or probation? Thanks for reading really hope it all works out in the end. I am young so I’m still learning I do not want to mess up again.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Richard Southard
Law Office of Richard Southard | Richard C Southard
All of the things that you mention are possible. Firstly, the worst that can happen is that you go to jail for a year and pay a $1000 fine but given that it's your first arrest, any amount of jail is unlikely. Your focus should be on hiring an attorney who can help you accomplish your secondary goal, which is avoiding a criminal conviction. New York State does not expunge criminal records no matter how long you stay out of trouble from here on out. You need to do everything possible to avoid a conviction now. A combination of anger management, community service and paying for the damages window will help. An experienced attorney will help even more.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 6/24/2014
Rothstein Law PLLC
Rothstein Law PLLC | Eric Rothstein
I do not believe you are going to get jail. I suggest that you hire a criminal defense lawyer. Dismissal may be achievable.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 6/24/2014
Click to View More Answers: