Will I get in trouble if my friend was found in possession of my anabolic steroids? 41 Answers as of June 23, 2011

One of my friends was recently pulled over and the cops found 11 dianabol pills (anabolic steroid) in his car. The pills were mine not his but I wasn't with him when he got pulled over. He wants me to go to court and admit they were mine. Will I get in any trouble since he was in possession of them and I wasn't with him if I admit it in court? By the way I'm only 17.

Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC
Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC | Jacob Peter Sartz IV
Yes, you could potentially get in trouble and would be possibly incriminating yourself. You have your Fifth Amendment rights against self-incrimination. What you say or do not say may result in criminal charges filed against you. I would recommend that you retain an attorney to assist you with this matter. You need specific legal advice for your particular unique circumstances. Most attorneys provide free initial consultations.
Gregory Casale Attorney at Law
Gregory Casale Attorney at Law | Gregory Casale
Not unless he tells the police that they were yours. If you are contacted by the police, DO NOT speak to them, regardless of how they may tell you that they are only trying to help you out and let you tell your side of the story. Without your admission, it is his word against yours. If you admit, it is your problem for sure. If you hear from the police call me or another attorney immediately. Do not speak to them.
In general you could get in trouble in two ways- one if you gave them to your friend and two for admitting they are yours. You should hire an attorney.
I would not go to court and admit that these prescription pills were mine unless you have an attorney with you. Additionally, give your prescription bottle or a copy of the where the prescription was filed from your pharmacist.
The Chastaine Law Office
The Chastaine Law Office | Michael Chastaine
Possession of such substances is illegal without a proper prescription (which I assume you don't have.) If you admit they are yours, you can be charged with possession or even sales. It is best to discuss this with an attorney to see what the best course of action might be. I would strongly recommend that you NOT talk to law enforcement (or anyone else) about this until you have consulted with legal counsel.
    Pontrello Law
    Pontrello Law | William Pontrello
    If you say they were yours and they were illegal, yes.
    Law Office of Jonathan T. Sarre
    Law Office of Jonathan T. Sarre | Jonathan T. Sarre
    First of all "possession" comes in two forms: actual and constructive. "Actual" possession is pretty straightforward: it's in my pocket, I possess it. "Constructive possession" occurs when a person may not necessarily actually possess the object, but instead has the right to control the object. For example my wife and I constructively possess the dishes in our kitchen, even when we're just standing in the room. Why this is important is that providing your friend knew the steroids were in the car, he was possessing the steroids, I would say he was in actual possession of the 'roids. You, since you had some ownership rights of the stuff, were probably in constructive possession, having right to control but not actually controlling them. I think that legally (again assuming he knew the steroids were in his car) there's no real big significance that the pills were yours and not his. I think you can both be dinged for the pills, in fact. On the other hand, if you were to do the honorable thing and show up and take ownership of the pills, the judge or the DA may cut your buddy some slack. Then, however, you get rung up for the possession. You ought to find yourself a lawyer.
    Attorney at Law
    Attorney at Law | Steven C. Bullock
    That is a difficult question to answer with the information provided. Without question, you should contact a local attorney and provide him/her with all the details.
    If you had the steroids illegally then the answer is yes. You could be charged with a crime. Did your friend know the drugs were there. If he did he can still be considered guilty.
    Ordinarily, in Michigan, a person driving a vehicle can be charged with possession of anything in that vehicle. Therefore, your friend can be charged. You should seriously consider whether you will go to court and make admissions. This will implicate you, and you could end up with a criminal record. Further, both you and your friend could end up with convictions. There is no guarantee that they will simply drop the case against your friend if you make admissions of possession. You should hire an attorney to represent you and discuss all of your options with the attorney before you do anything.
    If you confess to possession of illegal drugs, you both can be charged, and both can do time. The choice is yours. Follow the advice to exercise the 5th Amendment right to SHUT UP and do NOT talk to anyone except an attorney about the case. That includes on this or any other web site or public forum. Most police and prosecutors will happily tell you that 95% of people convict themselves by trying to be 'helpful and cooperative', either during initial contact, questioning, interview or interrogation. If serious about hiring counsel to help in this, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me.
    First of all, did you have a prescription? If so, you won't likely be prosecuted. Secondly, your testimony would not help your friend because possession can be actual or constructive. Constructive possession is when one can exercise dominion and control over the substance. So if your friend knew the roids were there and what they were, he's guilty and you claiming ownership won't be a defense for the friend. If you don't have a prescription then it would be idiotic to testify for the friend because you would be admitting to actual possession. Now what could really be a problem would hinge on how the roids were packaged. If they were individually packaged as they usually for sale, your friend could be looking at possession with intent to deliver. In that scenario, you would be facing a major felony and possibly prison time. You need to understand that the prosecutor can sit on charging you until after your birthday. It may seem cold-blooded to let your friend take the rap but testifying or signing a statement could potentially result in you facing charges. Let me know if I can be of any further service and just keep quiet.
    By admitting to ownership of the steroids, you would be making yourself liable to be charged with a drug offense. I would advise you to remain silent as to your involvement. You should consult with an experienced attorney regarding your rights and how making admissions would harm you. Even if you admitted they were yours, your friend could still be charged with possession, so you making an admission may not help him at all.
    You very likely could get in trouble. The moral and ethical question is should your friend pay for your sins? Hire an attorney and discuss the issues with him/her.
    Suffice it to say that you need to consult an attorney in person. If you admit that the drugs were yours, then you are likely to get charged with something. You have to ask yourself if you're willing to run the risk. Also, what's the difference if the drugs were technically "yours"? He had them. They were in his possession. You admitting that they "belonged" to you may not help him at all.
    Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC
    Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC | Martina A. Vigil
    I would be wary of offering an admission to the Court without hiring an attorney to properly advise you of the consequences of this. If you are illegally in possession of the steroids, it is possible that you can be on the hook for a possession charge.
    Harden Law Offices
    Harden Law Offices | Leonard D. Harden
    In the U.S., anabolic steroids are currently listed as Schedule III controlled substances under the Controlled Substances Act , which makes the first offense simple possession of such substances without a prescription a federal crime punishable by up to one year in prison, and the unlawful distribution or possession with intent to distribute anabolic steroids punishable as a first offense by up to ten years in prison. If you have a valid prescription you may be okay to go to court and say they were yours. However, there are always risks. If no prescription it gets complicated and you should consult a lawyer. In NH 17 means you would be treated as an adult.
    Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
    It is not in your penal interests to make an admission of a crime in open court.
    Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law
    Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law | Jules Fiani
    You need to hire a lawyer to look into the case for you more specifically. Even if you have not been charged yet, you need an experienced local attorney specializing in this area of the law.
    Law Office of Andrew Subin
    Law Office of Andrew Subin | Andrew Subin
    You should not admit possession of anything unless you had a valid prescription for them. Even if you did have a prescription, I would advise against any statement because you could be charged with delivery if you gave him the drugs.
    Of course you would expose yourself to criminal prosecution even as a juvenile. If they were really yours the noble things perhaps would be to help him and tell the truth. (though even then you would be better taking the 5th with the assistance of an attorney). To say you are guilty of something you didn't do is certainly being a good friend but risking your future instead of his.
    Frances R. Johnson
    Frances R. Johnson | Frances R. Johnson
    Without knowing more information about your background, this can't be answered. You should consult an attorney where you live who can give you advice about how to proceed upon learning all of the relevant facts.
    In Georgia the age for treatment as an adult is 17. You should consult with a criminal lawyer in your community as soon as possible about your rights. Good luck!
    Fitzpatrick, Mariano, & Santos, PC
    Fitzpatrick, Mariano, & Santos, PC | Raymond J. Savoy
    If your friend tells the police that the steroids were yours, the will conduct an investigation. If you go to court and admit the steroids were yours, you have made the police officer's job easier and you may be arrested.
    Harrison & Harrison
    Harrison & Harrison | Samuel Harrison
    1. I don't know where you live, but in Georgia a 17 year old is considered an adult for criminal law purposes. 2. Your friend's story+ your admission+ steroids in the car where you say you left them = arrest for you. 3. Say no more and get to a local criminal defense lawyer NOW.
    At age 17, you are considered an adult in the eyes of the criminal law. Whether you would get in trouble would depend on why he had your pills. If he stole them, then you should not get in trouble. On the other hand, if you supplied them to him and they are a controlled substance, you could find yourself in trouble. You should consult an attorney before taking any action.
    The English Law Firm
    The English Law Firm | Robert English
    Yes, if you were to go to court and say that they were your illegal drugs, then you will very likely get in trouble. You face the possibility of juvenile proceedings against you or even a certification as an adult offender. You need to talk to a lawyer about the specific facts of your issue.
    Law Office of Rankin Johnson IV, LLC
    Law Office of Rankin Johnson IV, LLC | Rankin Johnson IV
    You might get in trouble. It is debatable whether your statement in court would be enough to convict you. Under Oregon law, a person cannot be convicted on the basis of that person's confession alone, but any other evidence (your friend's testimony, your fingerprints on the bottle) would be enough. Further, your ownership of the pills would not necessarily exonerate your friend. The crime is knowing possession of a controlled substance, not ownership. If you want to testify to help your friend, you should talk to a lawyer. It is possible that you could either be ordered to testify, (which might prevent your testimony from being used against you) or given immunity, or that your refusal to testify could be made known to the jury in some fashion, but that would require your attorney and his working together. Even if you are not convicted, you might get in other trouble for admitting ownership of steroids, such as deportation (if you aren't a US citizen) or loss of a scholarship or student grants.
    Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC
    Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC | Lacy Fields
    First of all, in Missouri, 17 years olds are charged as adults. Second, the crime is possession. If your friend was in possession of the pills, then he technically committed the crime. Third, if you go to court and admit that the pills are yours, you may be charged. Fourth, you have to answer to your own conscience.
    If the steroids are not part of a prescription, it is a narcotic that may result in a very serious felony possession charge which is punishable by up to five years in prison. You would be wise to hire legal counsel.
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer | Cynthia Henley
    You could get into trouble if you admit that you have been in possession of an illegal drug. You might not have been in possession of them at the time that he was driving and arrested for it, but admitting that are yours is admitting that you illegally possessed them at another time.
    The Law Offices of Dustan Neyland
    The Law Offices of Dustan Neyland | Dustan Neyland
    Every state has different laws. Generally speaking, if you go to court and admit to a crime, it is possible that they will charge you. In the State of Texas, you would be considered an adult at the age of 17. You need to consult an attorney in your area to determine whether you have any criminal liability.
    Retain a criminal attorney . You do not want to talk to the police or admit anything. You cannot be convicted of anything unless you are stupid enough to talk to the police.
    Yes, you will certainly get in trouble if you say that they were yours. Not only are you lying to the court, you are making incriminating statements against yourself. Jiust because you're 17 doesn't mean you have to be so stupid!!
    Robert Mortland
    Robert Mortland | Law Office of Robert Mortland
    If you have a valid legal physicians prescription for the pills, you should be fine. However, if your friend is asking you to come to court and admit that an illegal substance was yours, I advise you to speak with or hire an attorney asap. You could be facing charges.
    Law Offices of Elliott Zarabi
    Law Offices of Elliott Zarabi | Elliott Zarabi
    Yes, you will. Your friend wants you to testify and tell the court that the drugs weren't his and that they're yours. That will subject you to criminal liability. I suggest you can an attorney to guide you through this process, if you can't afford one, the court may appoint one for you. Feel free to contact me with any other questions you may have! This is a tough situation to be in, your friend or you... Sorry that you are in this situation!
    Do not admit to anything in court without first consulting with an attorney. Your testimony under oath could be used against you to press criminal charges against you. In regards to your "friend," it wouldn't make a difference if you did make such an admission because he would still be guilty of having them in his possession. Such an admission is only to your detriment.
    If you are admitting possession to something that is illegal, you will get charged.
12 3 4 5 6 7 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney