Will I get in trouble for posting nude photos of my ex in a website? 2 Answers as of October 28, 2013

I recently posted nude photo's of my ex-girlfriend to a web site. Can I get in trouble for that? When the pictures were taken, we were both in agreement. If I can get into trouble, what are the consequences?

Lawyer for Indie Media
Lawyer for Indie Media | Sue Basko
Yes, this is a felony under various Illinois and federal criminal statutes. In Illinois, it is illegal to post any person's name, address, phone number, email, or image on any site that includes any obscenity. Also, what you are talking about doing likely violates the Illinois Cyberstalking laws. It also likely violates various provisions of the federal computer laws. On either state or federal law, you can face arrest and prosecution, which can result in prison time. You might also be creating pornography or obscenity, distributing it, and possibly distributing it to minors. If you face such charges, you may be forced to register on the sex offender registry. That would be suitable, since you are, in fact, violating the sexual dignity of the woman.
Of course, you will get in trouble! The possibilities range from a civil suit brought against you by your ex to criminal charges by the police, especially if the photos were taken when she was still a minor. It doesn't matter who took the photo or if she agreed to pose for it; if you posted the photos, you will be liable for any result of that posting. And if you did it intentionally to hurt her or cause her harm, the fines and prison time are going to increase dramatically.