Will I get a green card if I file the petition by myself? 2 Answers as of May 09, 2011

I came in us in august 2009 in fiance visa.we got married in my home country Thailand. i got my conditional green card in january 2010.we lived together but later on i found out that my husband has lots of bad habits like gambling and having affair with other girls. though we had arguments i stayed with him because i loved him a lot and that someday he would quit his bad habits and stop dating other girls.but now he wants to send me to my home country and threatens me that he wont file for the petitions to remove green card. He always fights with me and gives me no respect at all.Now i dont want to live with him.i want to go back to thailand and return when i need to file for my permanent green card.Will i get a green card if i file the petition myself ? what are the necessary documents required to file by myself?Do i need to get divorced before filing the petition? i dont want to divorce him because i love him a lot.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
Yes I think so. This is not something you do by yourself, I always recommend an Attorney to flesh out the issues you need to expose in order to receive your 10-year green card without your husband. I see the basics of a self-petition; but you will need more. I would not recommend you go back to Thailand if your 2-year card is about to expire in the hopes that you can return to the US and finish the process. You can do so though, as long as you return before expiration of the 2-year card. Take care of what you need to here while you are here. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/9/2011
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
Sorry you have to go through this. Yes, there is a way you can self petition as abused spouse, as long as you think you can prove your marriage is in good faith to begin with. You should get a lawyer's help to prepare for your petition.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 5/6/2011
Click to View More Answers: