Will I get caught using my social security job to find a job even though it is not valid? 4 Answers as of January 03, 2011

I overstayed my visa, but I have a Social Security that says "Not Valid For Employment." I am 19 years old and I want to marry my girlfriend (she is a U.S. citizen) but I do not have a job right now so I do not have money to pay for all the paperwork etc. My question is if I use my SSN for work, what are the chances that I will get caught using it? I have already used it once for a job interview and they did a background check and everything went well, but they still needed to see that Social Security Caard plus my Driver's License so I never went back to take the job. Is there anyway that I will get caught by using my SSN for work?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
The more marginal businesses do not seem to check your paperwork as carefully but they are also more likely to be raided by ICE.

Best would be to find someone willing to loan you the money to proceed with your paperwork and then pay back them back with some interest. You should have a work card 60-90 days after your paperwork is on file. Maybe her parents or your parents would do this for you. You will need between $4000 and $4500 for everything (attorney fees, filing fees and costs including medical exam)
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/3/2011
The Vega Law Firm
The Vega Law Firm | Linda Vega
You should never use a false Social Security number under any circumstances. You are able to obtain an EIN number from the IRS so as to pay your taxes. If you are not authorized to work in the U.S. please consider filing for an EIN number to help you.

If you are caught using falsified government documents, you may face criminal charges.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 1/3/2011
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
I cannot answer a question about using a social security number that is not valid for employment. There are any number of ways an employer, the IRS, the SSA, or DHS could discover this problem. The most important piece of advice I can give about this situation is that under no circumstances should anyone claim to be a U.S. citizen as there is no waiver available for a false claim of citizenship.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 1/3/2011
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
As lawyers we will never advise you to work without work permit. Your chance is go back to your country and apply for an immigration bar waiver or marry your girl friend only if your relationship is genuine. Be mindful the relationship will be under close examination and you need to do a great job in future petition. You need to use professional help.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 1/2/2011
Click to View More Answers: