Will I get any amount if I win this my case? 7 Answers as of February 13, 2014

I’m being evicted by my ex-boyfriends father because he hit me and I called the cops. I have proof in writing, I have it in writing from my ex that if I did call the cops and he went to jail I would be evicted. How do I get money out of this?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of George H. Shers | George H. Shers
You might have a case. You certainly can sue the father for hitting you and perhaps the son for evicting you, unless he can come up with some other reason for doing so. You problem will be that your damages probably are not very large and most attorneys would not want to take the case, so you might have to sue by yourself in small claims court.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/13/2014
Stuart P Gelberg
Stuart P Gelberg | Stuart P Gelberg
Ask a personal injury attorney. Probably you would only be entitled to your actual damages, e.g. the costs of moving. Collection sounds doubtful if he is in jail.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 2/13/2014
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
Whose house is it? If it is not your house, then you are going to be evicted.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 2/13/2014
Patrick W. Currin, Attorney at Law | Patrick Currin
You have a defense to eviction in that this is clearly a retaliatory eviction. There may be some civil fines for bringing the case.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/13/2014
Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
You don't. The landlord is permitted to do unlawful detainer action to get the sheriff to remove you if you refuse to leave. Since you were not injured, you no claim to pursue.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 2/13/2014
    Peters Law, PLLC
    Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
    You won't. The father does not have to rent to you. Unless there is a written lease and you have not violated its terms, he can give you notice to quit and you will have to leave.
    Answer Applies to: Idaho
    Replied: 2/13/2014
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    You probably do not, but I would need the details and to review your lease and payment history to form a firm opinion.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 2/13/2014
Click to View More Answers: