Will I face jail time for 2nd offense shoplifting? 1 Answers as of July 10, 2017

The Rogers Law Firm
The Rogers Law Firm | Andrea Storey Rogers
There is a new law in Missouri that states that there is no jail time possible for anyone charged with first-time offense of stealing under $150. However, if this is your 2nd offense, then that new law does not apply to you and so there is the possibility of you being sentence to the maximum 1 year in jail and $1,000 fine. I have never heard of anyone going to jail for even a 2nd shoplifting offense if you have an experienced attorney representing you, but it just depends on which court your case is being prosecuted in. I have experienced some courts in Missouri in which the judge requires 2 days in jail for a first-offense minor shoplifting offense. If you go to court on your own and plead guilty without an attorney representing you, you risk having the judge sentence you to 1-2 days in jail, and you will definitely end up with a conviction for stealing on your permanent criminal record, which can prevent you from getting a job, renting an apartment, obtaining a loan, or getting federal student aid for college. I highly recommend that you hire an experienced criminal defense attorney to get your shoplifting charge dismissed or reduced to a lesser offense, such as "Littering."