Will I be violating copyright laws if I have a professional music played in the background of my non-commercial film? 3 Answers as of November 30, 2010

Will I be violating copyright laws if I have a professional artist's music played in the background of my film? I am a student about to submit my college applications with a film portfolio, which contains pop music and some instrumental music. If my films will only be shown to the schools I applied to, will that still be count as copyright violation? And is it possible that my application may be rejected because of that?

Thank you very much!

Handal & Morofsky LLC
Handal & Morofsky LLC | Anthony H. Handal
I thought about this one a bit. Probably arguments could be made that this is a fair use. However the safer course of action would be to request permission from the publisher of the music.

Asking permission might make your application more impressive.
Mark S. Hubert PC
Mark S. Hubert PC | Mark Hubert
Yes if there is a copyright - you will be violating it. All music written after 1978 has automatic copyright protection.
Fish & Associates, PC
Fish & Associates, PC | Robert D. Fish
"Fair use" is a complicated determination, and it is entirely possibly that your contemplated usage is not fair use. See http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html. In any event, its probably not worth the mental anguish to worry about it. You can very likely secure a license for almost nothing through one of the licensing companies, e.g., ASCAP, BMI, or SESAC.