Will I be suspended and can I file for bankruptcy if I was at fault for an accident and I have to pay for damages? 11 Answers as of August 09, 2017

I did not have insurance and it wasn't a DUI.

Bankruptcy will eliminate your liability for any damage caused by the accident. You'll be able to get your license back by paying the fine and reinstatement fee.
OlsenDaines | Rex Daines
Yes, If you otherwise qualify for chapter 7 and there was no alcohol involved, you can eliminate this debt in a chapter 7 and keep your license from being suspended.
You can file bankruptcy to protect you from the debt. However, it is likely your license will be suspended until the debt is discharged.
The real question is whether the debt for the personal injuries are dischargeable. The test is whether the injury caused was "willful and malicious", meaning intentional. If the accident was negligent, the debt owed is very likely dischargeable.
I have handled a number of bankruptcy cases in which an at fault driver files bankruptcy to be able to keep driving privileges and eliminate debt for an uninsured motor vehicle accident. Contact a local bankruptcy attorney for representation. This kind of case can come with unexpected complications, and you probably need fast results.
    Yes and yes.
    Yes, the DMV can suspend your license. Yes, see a lawyer about bankruptcy.
    Law Office of J. Thomas Black, P.C.
    Law Office of J. Thomas Black, P.C. | J. Thomas Black
    If you qualify, you can file for bankruptcy and the uninsured damages from the accident are typically a dischargeable debt. Yes, it can keep you from losing your driving privileges by filing for bankruptcy.
    Law Office of Kimberly Fives | Kimberly Fives
    I presume you mean by suspended you're concerned that your drivers license will be suspended if you file bankruptcy. If that is your concern bankruptcy will not affect your driving privileges. other things like too many points on your driving record may cause you to get a suspension but bankruptcy will not. As for any damages that may be awarded to the other party due to the accident they may not be dischargeable in bankruptcy. You should definitely consult with a bankruptcy attorney before doing anything.
    Fluhr & Moore, LLC | Steven S. Fluhr
    Bankruptcy will actually restore your driving privileges under the circumstances you describe.
    You might very well have your license suspended under the safety responsibility law. However a bankruptcy would probably prevent that. Find an experienced bankruptcy lawyer in your locality: it's almost always worth the investment.