Will I be save to go ahead and build if the mortgage company found a gap from 25 years ago where a deed never got recorded? 10 Answers as of May 19, 2014

I've owned property and paid taxes the last 14 years. I'm wanting to build an house and after mortgage co. ran title search they found a gap from 25 years ago where a deed never got recorded. Thank you.

Edward L. Armstrong, P.C. | Edward L. Armstrong
If you have been paying tax on this property for that number of years, you may actually be the owner by adverse possession. This is a complicated issue and you need to have help from a real estate attorney. Probably what you will need to do is file a law suit to "quiet title." You will need a lawyer to help you with this.
Order a policy of title insurance.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
If you can trace your title back 15 years in Michigan its generally good.
Frederick & Frederick PLC | James P Frederick
Not enough information is given. I would not do anything until you sort this out, however. You would want to have clear title before investing any significant funds in the property. This is a red flag. I would check with an attorney to determine how best to proceed.
Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd.
Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd. | Randall C. Romei
A quiet title lawsuit would resolve any title defect question. An alternative could be to obtain title insurance over the title defect.
    Law Office of James E. Smith
    Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
    Get title insurance.
    Law Office of Pamela Braynon | Pamela Y. Braynon
    Too little info here to properly answer this question. Please supply more info, like, the deed that didn't get recorded, what does it have to do with the loan you're applying for now. The title search was done on what property, the property where you want to build the new home or somewhere else?
    Suggest you contact a real estate lawyer to vise you with the documents you refer.
    Goldsmith & Guymon | Dara Goldsmith
    Before you invest money in property you should have a title search completed and get a title insurance policy in Nevada. This information is only intended to give general information in response to an inquiry. It does not establish an attorney client relationship. This response is only based upon the limited facts presented and is merely intended to assist you in determining if you should contact an attorney to provide you with legal advice.
    James Law Group
    James Law Group | Christine James
    I would not do anything until you quiet title and make 100% sure it is yours. You will probably be fine but do you want to go through that expense and not be? An attorney can help you quiet title probably for around $2,500.