Will I be responsible for my immigrant parents after filing an affidavit of support? 1 Answers as of February 24, 2011

I petitioned my parents as immigrants. I filed the affidavit of support. Both of them are not working. They applied for Medi-cal. My father will be going extensive surgery and treatment. Will I be financially responsible for any medical bills? Will the government be running after me and my estate to pay?

The Affidavit of Support is a contract between you and the government until your parents either have 40 quarters of social security time or become U.S. citizens. Is Medi-Cal a state or Federal program? Although technically the government can seek reimbursement for certain public benefits if your parents seek them my experience is that they rarely do this.

If you would like a consultation on the facts of your specific case feel free to contact me as indicated below and we can research whether this is one of the programs for which they can seek reimbursement. I do charge for consultations but whatever you pay for the consultation would then be a credit toward the fees for your case if we are retained for services after the consultation.