Will I be required to continue to pay for the maintenance for my ex? 1 Answers as of June 21, 2011

My divorce was final 2/10 and the judge ordered me to keep paying her rent 925/mo but for me to set a hearing for 2/11. She pleaded disability, as this was a 2-year marriage. The judge said he wouldn't throw her on the street, and we would meet a year later to determine her disability case as she had been rejected. She received disability in 10/10 and we had gotten together, thus we didn't go to court to resolve the order. We now have ended our relationship and have a hearing scheduled and she is walking, (in a wheelchair 2/10) has tenants in her home to pay rent and activated her real estate license. What will the judge order? The first judge stated he doubted after one year he would keep the maintenance in effect due to the short-term marriage. She says she’s disabled and it’s a diff judge.

There is no way to predict what either judge might do now without a much better understanding of the facts. Since it was only a 2 year marriage, and you apparently have already paid maintenance (in the form of rent) for a year, it is probably unlikely that maintenance would be continued, but not impossible.