Will I be prosecuted for smoking marijuana? 3 Answers as of November 09, 2011

I was caught smoking in my dorm and I was wondering how often state attorney's pursue full conviction of students caught with marijuana in their dorms. It was a minimal amount (<.3 grams) and a piece. What is the typical scenario for this type of situation? I am just afraid I will be branded a hard criminal for the rest of my life for such a small amount.

Donahue, Sowa & Magana Attorneys at Law
Donahue, Sowa & Magana Attorneys at Law | Glenn M. Sowa
If you are prosecuted, you will have to appear in court and go before a judge at some point. Your facts do not indicate that this happened. If and until this happens, you are not prosecuted for possession of cannabis. If you are prosecuted, most first offenders for this small amount in Illinois do not end up with convictions on their record for possession of such a small amount. Possible dispositions include diversion, supervision, or 710 probation; all of which do not result in convictions. It's best to consult with an experienced criminal defense attorney as soon as possible.
If in Cook County, Illinois, you will probably be offered drug school, 4 Saturday sessions, and a dismissal of the charges completely, if successfully completed. If outside Cook county, you will probably get supervision, which results in a dismissal of the charges after its successful completion. You certainly are not going to jail, and I am almost completely certain you will not receive a permanent criminal record for this infraction.
Law Office of Wayne I Novak | Wayne Novak
Unfortunately the answer many times comes down to location, as in where were you arrested.