Will I be penalized if I did not have insurance when was hit by another car in Illinois? 2 Answers as of March 29, 2011

I was in an accident, and the other motorist was at fault. What happens if I do not have insurance to cover this? I still need to make a claim for the damages and injuries that I have suffered. Can I get fined for not being insured, or what will happen?

Cary J. Wintroub & Associates
Cary J. Wintroub & Associates | Sheldon J. Aberman
Yes, you can be penalized. 625 ILCS 5/7-601 of the Illinois Revised Statutes states, in part: "no person shall operate.a motor vehicle.unless the motor vehicle is covered by a liability insurance policy." The statute requires the driver of a vehicle to make certain that he/she is covered by a liability insurance policy, no matter who is at fault for an accident. Notwithstanding, whether or not you had insurance at the time of the accident will not affect your ability to make a claim against the tortfeasor for the damages that he/she caused you to sustain in the accident. Lastly, you can be fined for not being insured. If you were issued a citation for violating the mandatory insurance statute referenced above, you should contact an attorney to discuss the matter further.
Barry Rabovsky & Associates
Barry Rabovsky & Associates | Barry Rabovsky
You may have a case, based upon the information that you have supplied. We would be happy to provide you with a free consultation if you call my office at either of the numbers listed below. If my office accepts your case, there is no fee charged unless we are able to obtain a settlement for you. Thank you for your email, and we look forward to hearing from you.