Will I be liable for my wife's medical bills if she has been refusing to negotiate the bill with the hospital? 4 Answers as of April 08, 2014

Before my wife and I separated, she had to go to emergency room for an accident she has caused because of alcohol abuse. Before we were separated, she has been refusing to go to the hospital to negotiate the money. During that time she had health insurance. We have been separated due to her abuse of alcohol. She always refused to work. Am I liable for her medical bills that occurred during marriage and after separation? If I am liable, am I allowed to be able to negotiate the medical bill in her behalf and possibly pay for it? If I do pay for it, will I be able to bring that up in court to reduce the amount of money she may try to get from me (if she is able to get any money). There was another incident when she physically attacked me. I had to run out of the house and called her father. She called the police saying that I was attacking her. When her father arrived while police was there, she also physically attacked her father. Police called EMS being worried about her state. When I called the police department the other day, there were no reports in file.

Generally you are not liable for her debts unless it was your insurance policy or if you signed her in to doctor/ hospital.
Meister & McCracken Law Firm, PLLC | Joanne M. McCracken
It depends on the outcome of the divorce. You should consider getting a really good divorce attorney to be sure that you are not made liable to pay those medical bills.
Answer Applies to: Arkansas
you need an attorney, and the medical expenses would, in normal circumstances, be marital debts. Your circumstances are not normal.
Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, LLC | Daniel A. Edelman
You are liable for "expenses of the family," which would include necessary expenses before separation. You have the right to negotiate any claim against you. In Illinois, a hospital is under an obligation to negotiate a reasonable payment plan.