Will I be held accountable for the cost of the birth of my grand child? 4 Answers as of April 02, 2013

I pay child support for my 18-year-old daughter. She have a baby of her own and my health insurance will not pay for her checkups and doctor visits for her soon to be child cause I'm not that baby's father. Will I be held accountable for the cost of the birth of my grand child?

Mark S. Hubert PC
Mark S. Hubert PC | Mark Hubert
This is a question for a family law attorney but just taking a guess, the medical insurance company should have to pay for the medical care given to one the people that it insures (IE your daughter) What if she had her own insurance and was having the baby alone? Do you think that she would not be covered? Why should it be any different just because you are paying her premiums? I would talk with your medical insurance provider again.
Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
I doubt that you would be responsible, but this may depend on the terms of your child support obligations. Ordinarily, child support obligations terminate when the child turns 18, but in your case it seems that your obligations continue. If so, it is possible that you could be responsible. You need to confer with family law counsel ASAP.
Law Office of Kirk Buhler
Law Office of Kirk Buhler | Kirk A Buhler
This would mostly depend upon where the grand child lives. If it is in your house, you may be responsible because you cover your daughter. The laws and rules can change based upon your state and your previous coverage of your daughter. There are several state insurance programs that cover the insurance of a child from an unwed mother. Look into WIC (Women, Infants & Children) program.