Will I be entitled to anything if we get a divorce? 1 Answers as of March 21, 2011

I have been married to a guy for almost 3 ears.I am a nurse and I make more than him. Will I be entitled to pay for or pay him anything once we are divorced. Right now I pay most of the expenses and I dont know if I will have to pay court and attorney fees or alimony and we do not have any kids together.

Lori C. Obenauf LLC
Lori C. Obenauf LLC | Lori C. Obenauf
So much depends upon an evaluation of your total assets and liabilities and the income that each of you earn. You both are entitled to an "equitable division of marital property", which would also include a division of your debts. Basically, that means that each party should get what is fair under the circumstances. Judges have wide discretion to decide matrimonial issues such as the division of property, alimony, and allocation of debts. Chances are, since the two of you do not have any children and you have only been married for 3 years, that neither of you would want to spend the money to have a trial before a judge or jury. You are more likely to reach an agreement based upon what the two of you think is fair under the circumstances. If you cannot agree, then you might consider using a mediator to help facilitate an agreement.