Will I be entitled to any compensation even if wasn't a part of my sister's life or death? 13 Answers as of April 17, 2013

Wrongful death lawsuit.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
under Michigan law, you would have to prove to the judge just what the loss of your sister meant to you. So would all of the other heirs.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 4/17/2013
David F. Stoddard
David F. Stoddard | David F. Stoddard
I do not understand the question "will I be entitled to any compensation even if wasn't part or my sister's death?" Assuming there is some sort of legal claim for wrongful death/survival, the survival action proceeds go to the beneficiaries of the deceased's will. If there was no will, the proceeds go to the heirs according to the SC statute of descent and distribution. Wrongful death proceeds go to the heirs according to the SC statute of descent and distribution. The heirs are: Your spouse and children, spouse if you have no children, parents if you have no spouse or children, brothers and sisters if you have no surviving spouse, children, or parents.
Answer Applies to: South Carolina
Replied: 4/16/2013
James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C.
James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C. | Jim Hasser
In Alabama, wrongful death monies go to the heirs at law. The children are first, the parents are second and siblings are third in line.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 4/16/2013
Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A.
Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A. | Paul L. Whitfield
Spouses and parents come ahead of you but depending on the number and relation of survivors.
Answer Applies to: North Carolina
Replied: 4/16/2013
S. Joseph Schramm | Joseph Schramm
Any funds recovered in a wrongful death action go to the dependents of the decedent . This usually includes a spouse and children. If you were not a dependent of your sister you will probably not receive any money for a wrongful death suit filed on her behalf. If a survival suit is also filed, and they are usually filed together as one suit, any money recovered would go to your sister's estate and would be distributed to either nearest of kin if she died without a will or to the persons named in her will if she had one.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 4/16/2013
    Conway Law Pllc.
    Conway Law Pllc. | B. L. Conway
    Possibly: This depends on the Wrongful Death Statute in your State and who survives the Decedent.
    Answer Applies to: Virginia
    Replied: 4/16/2013
    Law Offices of Stanley S. Lopata
    Law Offices of Stanley S. Lopata | Stan Lopata
    It depends on many factors. You should consult a local attorney for a full review of your options.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 4/16/2013
    Peters Law, PLLC
    Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
    Too many facts to give a clear answer, but probably not.
    Answer Applies to: Idaho
    Replied: 4/16/2013
    Andrew T. Velonis, P.C.
    Andrew T. Velonis, P.C. | Andrew Velonis
    "Compensation", no; Inheritance, maybe. Since you were not part of your sister's life, you are not elibilble for compensation for her loss. However, depending on the circumstances, her estate may be entitled to recover for her pain and suffering. If you were named as a beneficiary in her will, or if you are a statutory distributee in your state, you may be entitled to something by that means.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 4/16/2013
    Lombardi Law Firm
    Lombardi Law Firm | Steve Lombardi
    Your question is unclear; there are not enough facts stated for an attorney to understand the issues involved with your question. Without more I am unable to provide any useful information.
    Answer Applies to: Iowa
    Replied: 4/16/2013
    Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
    That is a tough one. You need to show how you were damaged with her death. Since you were not close, her death had minimal impact to your life. Thus, I would not expect any compensation.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 4/16/2013
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney