Will I be entitled to any compensation even if wasn't a part of my sister's life or death? 13 Answers as of April 17, 2013

Wrongful death lawsuit.

under Michigan law, you would have to prove to the judge just what the loss of your sister meant to you. So would all of the other heirs.
I do not understand the question "will I be entitled to any compensation even if wasn't part or my sister's death?" Assuming there is some sort of legal claim for wrongful death/survival, the survival action proceeds go to the beneficiaries of the deceased's will. If there was no will, the proceeds go to the heirs according to the SC statute of descent and distribution. Wrongful death proceeds go to the heirs according to the SC statute of descent and distribution. The heirs are: Your spouse and children, spouse if you have no children, parents if you have no spouse or children, brothers and sisters if you have no surviving spouse, children, or parents.
In Alabama, wrongful death monies go to the heirs at law. The children are first, the parents are second and siblings are third in line.
Spouses and parents come ahead of you but depending on the number and relation of survivors.
S. Joseph Schramm | Joseph Schramm
Any funds recovered in a wrongful death action go to the dependents of the decedent . This usually includes a spouse and children. If you were not a dependent of your sister you will probably not receive any money for a wrongful death suit filed on her behalf. If a survival suit is also filed, and they are usually filed together as one suit, any money recovered would go to your sister's estate and would be distributed to either nearest of kin if she died without a will or to the persons named in her will if she had one.
    Conway Law Pllc.
    Conway Law Pllc. | B. L. Conway
    Possibly: This depends on the Wrongful Death Statute in your State and who survives the Decedent.
    Law Offices of Stanley S. Lopata
    Law Offices of Stanley S. Lopata | Stan Lopata
    It depends on many factors. You should consult a local attorney for a full review of your options.
    Too many facts to give a clear answer, but probably not.
    "Compensation", no; Inheritance, maybe. Since you were not part of your sister's life, you are not elibilble for compensation for her loss. However, depending on the circumstances, her estate may be entitled to recover for her pain and suffering. If you were named as a beneficiary in her will, or if you are a statutory distributee in your state, you may be entitled to something by that means.
    Lombardi Law Firm
    Lombardi Law Firm | Steve Lombardi
    Your question is unclear; there are not enough facts stated for an attorney to understand the issues involved with your question. Without more I am unable to provide any useful information.
    Answer Applies to: Iowa
    That is a tough one. You need to show how you were damaged with her death. Since you were not close, her death had minimal impact to your life. Thus, I would not expect any compensation.