Will I be eligible to file for a petition for my brother? 5 Answers as of June 07, 2011

I am a permanent resident can i file a petition for my brother to come to the US? How long does it take or can my wife petition for him if Icant?

No you cannot. You need to become a USC first. You can file for him on the First day you become a USC. Good luck!
Only U.S. citizen sibling can petition but you may want to explore other options for your brother to come to the U.S sooner if you don't want to wait for you to become a U.s. citizen and even then when you file for your brother it will be many years before he can benefit as the FB-4 category is quite backed up.
Unfortunately, there is no family-based category for the sibling of a permanent resident. You need to wait until you are a US citizen. Your wife cannot petition for him as she is not a qualifying relative. Even as an FB-4, it is a long wait, so file immediately after you get sworn in as a US citizen. Thank you.
Once you become a USC, you can sponsor your brother. The current wait time is about ten years.
Yes, you could petition for your brother but it could take years. Better to become a U.S. citizen yourself first and then petition for him as it will be much quicker. Your wife as your brother's sister in law cannot sponsor him for a family based petition.