Will I be disqualified from becoming a US citizen beacuse of a misdemeanor? 4 Answers as of June 17, 2011

I have a misdemeanor for simple possession of up to 1/2 ounce of marijuana. I am currently in a deferral program and have 9 months until it's completed and dismissed. Will this disqualify me from becoming a US citizen or should I wait to apply until I have completed my program?

You may be depending on whether it fits petty offense exception. Take your court docs to a qualified and competent immigration attorney who focuses on criminal aspects for full analysis
The simple possession charge should not disqualify you from becoming a U.S. citizen. However, it probably would be best to hold off on your N-400 until you've completed the deferred disposition program.
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
Probably. I don't know what state you live in so I cannot analyze the "deferral program" you speak of, but a drug conviction would likely render you ineligible for citizenship as you must have good moral character within the 5 years prior to applying for citizenship. More importantly, depending on the exact amount of marijuana in your possession at the time of arrest, you may also be deportable. You should RUN not walk to an immigration attorney who specializes in criminal immigration issues to ensure that you have not jeopardized your status in the U.S.
You would need to complete the course; and even that could be a problem because you need to be able to show good moral character for the statutory period before becoming an U.S. citizen.