Will I be deported if I'm charged with a class b misdemeanor? 3 Answers as of June 09, 2011

I'm 17 and illegal. I got charged with a class b misdemeanor. If I plead guilty will I be deported?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law | Theresa E. Tilton
As an illegal alien, you are already subject to deportation. Pleading guilty to a crime increases your chances for deportation. Your criminal defense lawyer needs to understand that your criminal case will have immigration consequences for you. Since you are only 17, you need to get your parents involved in any legal questions that would affect your future.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 6/9/2011
Fong & Associates
Fong & Associates | William D. Fong
It depends on the state criminal statute, the actual charge and the maximum sentence that could be imposed. Bring the charging documents to an immigration attorney that is familiar with the criminal statutes in your state.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 6/9/2011
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
It depends on the misdemeanor and where you live. The truth is that people get deported these days not because of the crime itself, but because it brings you to a jail and then to the attention of ICE. You are deportable right now because you are here illegally. So, even if it is a misdemeanor drunk in public (which is not a deportable offense if you are LEGAL), you may be deported because you end up going to jail and the jail calls ICE. The issues is your contact with law enforcement and their contact with ICE.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 6/8/2011
Click to View More Answers: