Will I be deported for violating probation in California? 5 Answers as of February 21, 2011

I got a ticket for not having a license. I am on probation with the DMV and have priors. If I go to jail, will I get deported because I am not legal in the US? This is in California.

Are you on a nonimmigrant status or here without documentation? If without documentation you can be deported (now called removal) for no reason at all - the driving without a license was just the way you were brought to the attention of ICE. Before agreeing to be removed or allowed to leave voluntarily be sure to consult with a qualified attorney who can advise you if you have any options - some options are only available while you are here and not after you are removed.
Yes, you will be deported.
Where you are does not matter. You will likely be picked by ICE and put in deportation process. It is time to hire a lawyer to save you. You are welcome to give us a call.
If you are not legally in the U.S. you can be deported whether or not you committed a crime. The issue is whether ICE (the law enforcement arm of Immigration) will learn of you. The answer in California is that it depends on what city or county you will be held in. Many cities in California now screen people for their immigration status and they advise ICE if the person is not a U.S. Citizen. ICE will then put a hold on them and take you into custody once your criminal sentence ends. You should speak to an immigration attorney who handles removal and detention matters before your go to jail.
Javia & Moore
Javia & Moore | Marisa-Andrea Moore
If you are arrested, it is possible that you will be placed in immigration custody and removal proceedings if you do not have documentation giving you permission to be present in the United States. This does not automatically mean you will be deported. You may have options and avenues of relief available that could allow you to remain in the US. Please consult with an immigration attorney.