Will I be banned from the US if I admit drug use? 4 Answers as of June 06, 2011

I would like to know if the consulate will deny me for admitting smoking marijuana 12 years ago that was once and never happened again. Is there a possible that there will be a ban for life entering the u.s? Thank you.

Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law | Eric Mark
It is possible, but should not happen. It will depend on the consulate, the officer and the rest of your application. But if you lie and are caught, it is also possible.
Generally speaking, you will not be banned for life for the admitted marijuana usage. You will likely be referred to a panel physician to determine if there is a drug addiction or drug dependency, but other than that you should be able to get a visa to enter the US.
It is possible to obtain a permanent ban for this, in my understanding. There is one exception for possession of marijuana under a certain amount but not for actually using it.
No, I don't think so on the facts as described.