Will I be arrested for trying to resolve a bench warrant from a speeding ticket? 4 Answers as of October 20, 2017

I was in a minor traffic accident 4 years ago. I rear-ended another vehicle in bumper to bumper traffic and an off duty police officer stopped to assist. Unknown to me at the time, he also issued a citation for "driving at unsafe speed for conditions". It was mailed to me, but I had recently moved and was also in the middle of a huge mailing debacle, trying to get my mail forwarded to the correct address so I never received the citation or knew about it. I found out about it and the resulting warrant a year+ ago while investigating insurance points. I've been too nervous to resolve it, but obviously it needs to be resolved. What can I expect? Will I be arrested for trying to pay the fines and any other fees? Isn't the purpose of a warrant just to get you in to pay the original fine (and fees, at that point)? Also, I can't find my name in a warrant search in the county where this occurred. I was stopped once as well in the past 4 years and the warrant did not come up. I was told by a trooper about the warrant, after being passed around on the phone investigating insurance, so that is the only info I'm going on that I have one.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
It depends on the judge. The judge has discretion in matters like this. You need to hire a lawyer.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 10/20/2017
Law Office of John G. Galasso | John George Galasso
Contact the clerk of courts where the citation originated; They will tell you if you need to appear in court or just pay the fine.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 10/20/2017
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
Well of course there might be an active warrant. I suggest paying the fine, after contacted the clerk of court for the county where you were first charged. Ask for a confirmation that you have paid the fine. Then write the court with proof of payment and ask for any warrant which may exist to be withdrawn.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 10/20/2017
Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
Contact the court clerk. They can tell you if there is an outstanding warrant. No, they will not arrest you, but you do need to pay the fine. The warrant serves a broader purpose and you could be sentenced with community service and/or a fine on top of the ticket fine.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 10/20/2017
Click to View More Answers: