Will I be arrested for not finishing my DUI classes sooner? 11 Answers as of February 24, 2012

I got a DUI when I came home from Iraq in 2009. I was told to take a 3 month course in DUI classes, but I wasn’t able to do the courses because I got deployed to Afghanistan. Now that I am home my on base driving suspension is over and I want to get my license. Am I at risk of being arrested for not doing the courses earlier?

No, although in San Diego it requires a court appearance to get reinstated in the program. You should get an attorney to help you with the reinstatement.
Potentially. But you can be proactive. call the program and see if you can get back in and take them your deployment orders. If program will not let you back in, set a court date. Take your deployment orders. Judge will refer. Mig also want to talk to DMV or have attorney do it for you. This is not the 60's and Nam. Anticipate sympathy and assistance as long as you are not resting on your laurels.
Law Office of Andrew Roberts
Law Office of Andrew Roberts | Andrew Stephen Roberts
Actually your license might still be suspended as a result of your failure to complete the terms of your probation. You need to get your case on calendar and get it re-referred to the DUI program. You will probably want an attorney to do this for you. Make sure you have a copy of your deployment papers.
Yes, since the classes were never completed, there is probably a warrant out for your arrest and a violation of probation. And, you will not be issued a license by the DMV unless they have proof of completion of the classes. Consider getting a DUI specialist to help you recall the warrant and extend the deadline for completion. An attorney can appear without you being present, which lessens the likelihood that you will be taken in. The Judge is likely to be sympathetic due to your reason for non-compliance.
If you violated your probation by failing to do all things required, and failed to get the court to extend your time to do so, yes there is an arrest warrant outstanding on you. You might be arrested when appearing at DMV to try to get a license. For you to handle this, you must turn yourself into the court, with or without an attorney, and try to negotiate a plea bargain on the warrant and any outstanding charges. Doing so voluntarily will result in a better outcome than you being brought in cuffs to court after arrest on the warrant. That will happen if you come in contact with law enforcement or customs anywhere in the US. Unless you're competent to effectively represent yourself in court, most people hire an attorney who can. With your facts and story, your attorney should be able to persuade the court not to hammer you with penalties, and let you have more time to finish the classes. If you get serious about hiring counself to help you in doing so, feel free to contact me.
    Law Office of Michael Bialys THE DUI MAN
    Law Office of Michael Bialys THE DUI MAN | Michael Bialys
    If you did not complete their is a strong likelihood that the court issued a warrant. You need to contact the court or the lawyer who handled you matter initially.
    The Law Offices of Gabriel Dorman
    The Law Offices of Gabriel Dorman | Gabriel Dorman
    Let me see if I got this right. The reason you didn't do your 3 month DUI alcohol class on time is because you were deployed to Afghanistan to fight for our country ...again (first time in Iraq)? If this is the case, I really don't think you have to much to worry about. Given that you were in Afghanistan, I wouldn't imagine there being any problem getting an extension of time to complete the program. That being said, if you were ordered to show proof of completion of the program to the court, then there is a good chance you have a warrant for your arrest for failure to do so. It is hard to really say for sure without more information about your case. As such, I would strongly suggest contacting an experienced DUI lawyer to help you to make sure that everything goes smoothly and you don't end up going to jail. I hope this answer was helpful. If you would like to discuss your situation in more detail, please feel free to contact me. I would be happy speak with you. Thank you for your service. Good luck.
    The Law Offices of Victor J Mazzaraco
    The Law Offices of Victor J Mazzaraco | Victor J Mazzaraco
    First, thanks for serving. I'm glad you're here to worry about DUIs and driving and every other thing.

Here's your worry - by not finishing the classes your license is still suspended. Get caught driving on it and you could face 10 days in the clink. Here's my advice: get to court ASAP...just walk in, threy'll put you on that day's calendar if you get there early enough (call whichever coourt you have to appear in for thedetails). Then explain yourself to the judge...Any red-blooded American will have a soft spot for you, being in both Iraq and Afghanistan. Act remorseful, and they'll set you up. Good luck, and feel free to ask anything anytime. God bless.
    This could be a probation violation but the fact that you are in the military and were deployed to Afghanistan every judge will grant your request for an extension to complete the DUI class. In order to get a valid license back you will have to deal with the DMV.
    It is likely that the court has determined that you have violated the terms of your probation. This matter should be handled as soon as possible. If you don't already have one, I recommend that you contact an attorney to assist in trying to get your probation reinstated. Contact me if you would like to discuss further. Thanks for serving our country!
    Steven Mandell
    Steven Mandell | Law Offices of Steven Mandell
    A lot of the answer to this question depends on many factors you don't mention. However, since you're not going to get your license back until you take and complete the alcohol program, you are probably best off by bringing the matter to the attention of your judge without too much delay. You could be arrested at any time because when you failed to show proof of completion of the alcohol classes, a warrant was probably issued. The judge probably didn't know that you were in Afghanistan. To the judge, you were a "failure to complete the class." With your good excuse (and hopefully the timing of all the events supports that claim), it sounds to me like you will be allowed to re-enroll in and finish the program without any additional punishment. No guarantees, however, because there may be relevant information you didn't include. If you'd like to talk to me about this further, please don't hesitate to contact me.