Will I be able to return to the US? 3 Answers as of August 24, 2010

I received my US green card about 3 years ago. I live in the UK and travel to the US a couple times a year for extended stays with family and friends. I usually stay for a few weeks, or even over a month, and then go back home. I have never had any problems but I was told during my last trip by immigration officials at the airport that I will have to decide whether to stay in the US or leave and have my green card taken which will prevent me from being able to come back. Is this true?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
The short answer to your question is maybe. When you received your green card, you made a commitment to be a resident of the USA for at least the next five years, or longer. You have to maintain your green card, by maintaining a domicile in the USA, and you cannot stay for longer than one year at a time, and not at all the first 2 years you live outside the USA, as a green card holder. Best to you.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/24/2010
Law Offices of Juan Dotson
Law Offices of Juan Dotson | Juan Dotson
Yes, you may be able to return to the United States, but not as a permanent resident if your green card is taken. Green cards are intended for immigrants who plan on residing in the United States, hence the 6 month per year requirement. You should consult with an immigration attorney because it appears that USCIS has made up there mind about your residency intentions if you leave for another extended period of time. This also means that USCIS would not probably not give you a reentry permit if you requested one.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/18/2010
Click to View More Answers: