Will I be able to rent in the future after being evicted? 3 Answers as of January 22, 2011

While in graduate school in North Carolina I rented an apartment. I had a 12 month lease and a job at the school to pay my rent. When school ended, my job term also ended so I moved back home (immediately). There I tried to find a new job but it was still not enough to pay my last three months rent. Since then, the account went into collections and after 6 months, I paid it off. Is this considered an eviction? Will I be able to rent an apt in the near future?

Clifford Clendenin & O'Hale, LLP
Clifford Clendenin & O'Hale, LLP | Locke T. Clifford
That is a question for a collections or civil attorney. You can call your local Legal Aid office as well as they often handle landlord-tenant matters if you are not able to hire an attorney.
Beaver Holt Sternlicht and Courie, P. A.
Beaver Holt Sternlicht and Courie, P. A. | H. Gerald Beaver
Leaving before the lease expired was more along the lines of a breach of the lease than an eviction. How much this affects your next attempt to lease may depend on whether the new landlord runs a credit check or asks about your last rental experience. The fact that you paid the past-due rent will be helpful to you when you try to rent again, so be sure that you have good documentation of this.