Will I be able to renew my passport if I owe child support? 11 Answers as of August 15, 2011

I am U.S.A citizen living outside the country. I need to renew my passport next year but I owe about 20000 dollars child support. Will I be able to renew my passport or what I need to do?

You need to bring your arrears current.
It depends, if your case is reported, expect problems. Best thing you can do is make some efforts to pay the support before the State Department is notified.
Law Office of Roianne H. Conner
Law Office of Roianne H. Conner | Roianne Houlton Conner
No you will not if a hold has been placed on the passport by a Court.
Law Office of Patricia Van Haren
Law Office of Patricia Van Haren | Patricia Van Haren
You will not be able to renew your passport if you do not pay child support and are not making payments for child support. In order to renew your passport you will either need to bring your support current, or come up with an agreement with the custodial parent to accept a payment plan. You must also be making current support payments.
Law Office of Kathryn L. Hudson
Law Office of Kathryn L. Hudson | Kathryn L. Hudson
You should contact a US attorney right away as it could be very possible you will not be able to renew your passport as generally when one owes over $10,000 they will be denied a passport. Being stranded abroad without a valid passport could cause a whole serious of problems which I am sure you are aware. Is it possible for you to obtain permanent status where you are?
Answer Applies to: Arkansas
    Law Office of James Lentz
    Law Office of James Lentz | James Lentz
    Your outstanding child support should not interfere with your renewing your passport.
    No. Effective October 1, 2006, Federal law prohibits the issuance or renewal of a. U.S. passport to anyone with child support arrears of $2500.00 or more. The Passport Denial Program, which is part of the Federal Offset Program, is designed to help states enforce delinquent child support obligations. Under the program, noncustodial parents certified by a state as having arrearages exceeding $2,500 are submitted by the Federal Office of Child Support Enforcement (OCSE) to the Department of State (DoS), which denies them U.S. passports upon application or the use of a passport service. Noncustodial parents are not automatically removed from the Passport Denial Program even if their arrearages fall below the $2,500 threshold.
    Michael Rose Attorney at Law
    Michael Rose Attorney at Law | Michael Rose
    They will not renew until you pay the arrears. If you come back you will not be able to leave the country. 20,000 is that with interest? We just did one for a business man who had a business in another country. Had to do court hearings and the other side retained an attorney. Child Support arrears never go away so even when the child is 18 the arrears are there until you pay them.
    consult an immigration attorney
    Law Office of Michael W. Bugni
    Law Office of Michael W. Bugni | Jay W. Neff
    Maybe not. There are provisions in the federal law that allow a passport to be revoked if back child support is owed. Therefore, it is at least possible that you find that your passport is not valid for travel anywhere except back to the US. Because of that, my advice would be to hire an attorney right away that has experience dealing with overseas clients that have passport and child support issues.
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
    You may not be able to renew your passport. You can contact the passport agency and ask them directly, or just wait and renew and see if you are denied. If you are denied, the only way to renew the passport is to pay the back child support (or reach some sort of agreement with the government to pay at least some of the back support in order to allow you to renew).