Will I be able to prove an at-fault divorce? 2 Answers as of June 03, 2011

I have proof that my wife is cheating even though she denies this. This is after 30 yrs. I have alot invested in my home and want to retain my ownership. I cannot afford to start over at 58 yrs old. I also want custody of my minor child. Does this give me any leverage in a divorce if I initiate it?

Law Office of Robert L. Fiedler
Law Office of Robert L. Fiedler | Robert L Fiedler
Generally speaking, fault has very little impact on the ultimate result when the fault is an affair. At best, you are looking at changing a 50/50 split into a 55/45 or 60/40 split. As to custody, many other issues and criteria are involved. This alone would not cause primary residence to be with you.
The cause of the breakdown (fault) is only one of many factors a court weighs when fashioning alimony or property awards. Three are many factors in determining custody, the most important being the best interest of the child.