Will I be able to petition children over the age of 21 if I am receiving SSI and food stamps? 2 Answers as of February 14, 2011

I am a US citizen and want to file I-130 for children over 21. My concern is, I am receiving SSI and food stamps, will this take effect on petition even though my son-in-law and my daughter will join sponsor on affidavit of support (I-864)? If the answer is yes, when will it take effect? Is it going to affect me now, when I file the I-130 or later?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
It will not prevent you from filing, but you will have to demonstrate other assets (owned house, retirement fund, etc.), or have a co-sponsor filing an I-864. Your son-in-law & daughter can act as co-sponsors of the petition on their own behalf. The importance is that they do not become a public charge (receiving welfare for yourself). If I can be of help, by all means call me or e-mail to me.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/14/2011
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC | Louis M. Piscopo
Yes you can petition them if you are receiving food stamps.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/14/2011
Click to View More Answers: