Will I be able to lower my child support if I got a attorney to help me in? 10 Answers as of July 09, 2015

If an attorney helps me, is it possible to lower my support? I have never asked the court for help with my support before, but I need help lowering my support because I got my pay cut drastically.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr.
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr. | John F. Geraghty, Jr.
Yes, due to that change in circumstances.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 7/9/2015
Petit & Dommershausen SC
Petit & Dommershausen SC | Tajara Dommershausen
If your pay cut was due to something out of your control, you should be able to get it lowered. It usually helps to have an attorney present your information.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 7/9/2015
Law Office of Martin A. Kahan | Martin A. Kahan
If the income and expenses justify it, you should file a request for order to modify your support. ?Of course, an attorney will be the best way to proceed.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/9/2015
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
Having a lawyer to advise and represent you in a court matter is almost always a good idea. But there is no law keeping you from representing yourself. Generally you must move for amendment of the divorce decree and show a significant change of circumstances since the last order fixing child support. Some courts have pre-printed forms for do-it-yourselfers. In Dane County there is a kind of clinic to help people with these things, which operates a few hours one day a week. You might want to check with the Clerk of Court for your county.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 7/9/2015
John Russo | John Russo
If you are earning less you need to file a motion to modify with the court.
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 7/9/2015
    Law Offices of Julie A. Ringquist | Julie A. Ringquist
    If your income has changed (and you didn't lower it voluntarily), then your child support should also change. It is fairly easy to prove through paystubs and a properly written declaration, but if you feel you can't do it properly, get an attorney to make sure it's done properly and your modified payments can start soon. They will also do a re-calculation of the timeshare. If you two aren't following the visitation schedule as previously written, so if you aren't spending as many hours with the child as is written in the last orders, you may want to have an attorney calculate the difference and make sure it's worth your time and energy.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 7/8/2015
    Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock
    Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock | Arlene D. Kock
    If your pay has been cut below the amount that was used to calculate support, you're totally justified in returning to court for downward modification of support. Please meet with an experienced family law attorney to assess your options and review the support calculator to determine possible new lower support levels.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 7/8/2015
    Law Offices of Lauren H. Kane | Lauren H. Kane
    An attorney will know the grounds for a decrease.
    Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
    Replied: 7/8/2015
    Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A.
    Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A. | Joanna Mitchell
    If your pay has been cut through no fault of your own, then you should be entitled to a child support reduction. You need to file for a modification. If you are not certain how to proceed, you should hire an attorney.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 7/8/2015
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    If there is been a significant change in your circumstances I would recommend that you first go to the friend of the court with evidence regarding your reduction in pay and seeking an adjustment. If you do not get satisfaction there, then you should engage an attorney to assist you in filing a motion for a redetermination of support under the new circumstances.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 7/8/2015
Click to View More Answers: