Will I be able to keep full custody? 7 Answers as of January 28, 2014

I am currently 8 weeks pregnant, the father doesn't want me to keep the child but I have chosen to, since then he has cut most contact with, verbally abuses me with harsh words, and tried to convince me to get an abortion. Now since nothing has worked, he now says that he will have nothing to do with my pregnancy, but still demands that I alert him of the sex so he can help name it, and to be there when I am in labor so he can sign the birth certificate, then after the child is born he wants to push for full custody since he believes I am an unfit mother, what are the chances of him winning. We are not married, and he threatens to not let me have visitation at all and give the child a new mother.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Ronald Main & Associates | Tracian M. Laignel
I would advise you to get a protective order against him and the unborn baby. His contact with you is abusive in nature and is causing you stress. With a protective order in place against the child's father he will not be able to come around you. I would save all the text messages he has sent, if any, and e-mails he has sent if any. If possible, I would also advise you to record any telephone calls from him. I would also advise you to contact DVIS here in Oklahoma. You can look them up on the internet for the office closest to your county and see if there is any assistance they can offer you. DVIS offers a lot more than free legal advice to women in domestic violence situations such as you.
Answer Applies to: Oklahoma
Replied: 1/28/2014
The Law Office of James P Peterson
The Law Office of James P Peterson | James P Peterson
My advise is to ignore him. After the child is born do not allow the hospital to place his name on the birth certificate. If he takes action in court after the child is born then get an attorney. If he does nothing, then wait a few months or years and then you file against him for child support, back child support, medical support or for termination of his rights.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 1/20/2014
Paul H. Belanger, P.C. | Paul H. Belanger
File a paternity case once child is born. All issues will be decided.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 1/20/2014
Attorney at Law
Attorney at Law | Frances An
All I can say is that he has some nerve. What a jerk! If I were you, I would move as far away as I could, right now, and totally cut off contact with him. Do you have any friends or family who can help you? He doesn't know what he wants, except that he does not want to help you. That is clear. How old are you? Why do you think that he can win? Are you crazy? Do you really think that a court would give your child to him under these facts? Are you a drug addict? You need to consult an attorney in the area where you live. Get some help. This man is abusive and unreasonable.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/20/2014
Barr, Jones & Associates LLP
Barr, Jones & Associates LLP | Andrew Brasse
Especially with a newborn, the courts are more likely to side with the mother. Due to breastfeeding, the courts do not like to take newborn children away from mothers. Furthermore, you automatically have full custody of the child as soon as the child is born. It would be his burden to prove why it is in the child's best interests to live with him instead of you. Lastly, he would have no ability to control your visitation if for some reason he was granted custody. The Court would determine that.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 1/20/2014
Click to View More Answers: