Will I be able to get my record expunged or sealed? 10 Answers as of August 24, 2011

I was charged with two misdemeanors and one non violent felony a year ago. I was given probation and was discharged from probation this year will I be able to get my record expunged or sealed? This felony has really ruined my life what are my options.

This is not the type of situation where case files are sealed. Usually that is only for juvenile cases and other cases of sensitivity. Since you have more than one charge on your record you are not eligible for an expungement. Your option is to remain clean and stay on the right track because the more distance of time you can place between yourself and your conviction, the better off you will be. It will be tough for a while, but many have overcome such obstacles.
Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC
Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC | Jacob Peter Sartz IV
Currently, under Michigan law, you are only allowed to expunge one prior conviction after five years from the date of sentence, and you can only expunge that one prior conviction if it was your only offense. However, that may be changing; there have been a lot of legislative discussions about amending the law. I'd recommend you retain an attorney. There are some ways to get around this issue. Perhaps they could review your previous convictions and see if there are any options there? However, expunging a conviction usually involves a substantial waiting period of five years before you can do anything.
Thank you for your inquiry In Michigan, an expungement can occur if you have one charge, which is not an excluded offense, and 5 years have gone by. In your case, you have more than one offense, so no expungement is possible. It is unfortunate, but unless the laws are changed, this is the situation your case. This is not what you would like to hear, but it is the situation here in Michigan.
If you have more than one criminal conviction, you cannot get your record expunged. This e-mail is covered under the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 USC 2510-2521, and is legally privileged. The information contained in this e-mail is intended only for use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
You cannot seek an expungement for 5 years after the conviction and you can only have one conviction.
    Law Offices of Jeffery A. Cojocar, PC
    Law Offices of Jeffery A. Cojocar, PC | Jeffery A. Cojocar
    No you can't with 3 convictions
    Lewis & Dickstein, P.L.L.C.
    Lewis & Dickstein, P.L.L.C. | Loren Dickstein
    No, you are not eligible for an expungement. There is a chance that a 6.500 Motion (Motion for Relief from Judgement) could be filed on your behalf. The motion is highly complex and you will probably need to work with an attorney to see if that is a viable option for you.
    It all depends on your age, and the exact types of crimes. The expungement laws just changed for the better, but has to be based on crimes which were committed before age 21.
    Were you under 21 when the misdemeanors happened,? Did they carry a maximum of 90 days in jail? If you can answer both of these questions in the affirmative then athe answer is maybe, otherwise you could get these expunged only if you start acting like Mother Theresa. And the prosecutor wants to do you a favor.
    Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law
    Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law | Jules Fiani
    No you will not be able to get it expunged or sealed.