Will I be able to get my license back if I file for backruptcy with an uninsured car accident debt? 18 Answers as of January 24, 2014

I was in a car accident and my insurance had lapsed. I am in debt up to my ears already. If I file for backruptcy with an uninsured car accident debt will I be able to get my license back

Meister & McCracken Law Firm, PLLC | Joanne M. McCracken
That depends on facts which I do not have. You need to meet with a qualified bankruptcy attorney to discuss this matter in detail.
Answer Applies to: Arkansas
Stuart P Gelberg
Stuart P Gelberg | Stuart P Gelberg
Yes but you will need to pay a reinstatement fee to DMV.
In Nevada you can once the discharge is entered.
Yes. filing a bankruptcy can get your license restored, assuming your accident wasn't a result of driving while under the influence or otherwise impaired.
As long as there was not a DUI charge, you can discharge this in bankruptcy and get your license back.
    In Colorado, yes. Just take all your bankruptcy papers to the Motor Vehicle office.
    Law Offices of Damian Boz, PC
    Law Offices of Damian Boz, PC | Damian Boz
    It depends on the reason for the debt. If it is simply a property damage issue and you were not driving while intoxicated or cited for any other illegal act, and the debt is not a result of personal injury, you may be able to get your license back. The RMV has their own set of rules, and it would be a combination of bankruptcy law and RMV rules that dictate in your situation.
    Filing for bankruptcy will have no effect on your license. It will also not discharge any governmental penalties for illegal activity.
    Kirby G. Moss PC | Kirby G. Moss
    Yes, but your attorney needs to file a notice with the BMV of the BK filing. Takes about 3 weeks to go through.
    Cohen & Kendziorra, P.A.
    Cohen & Kendziorra, P.A. | Robert S. Cohen
    Yes, you will.
    Law Offices of Daniel J Winter
    Law Offices of Daniel J Winter | Daniel J Winter
    Generally, yes, you can get your license back if you owe money for an uninsured car accident debt. You should call a bankruptcy lawyer to discuss how to do this, and whether you are eligible. Also, be sure to get insurance, because you will need that as well in order to apply to reinstate your license.
    Goldsmith & Guymon | Marjorie Guymon
    You will still have to follow the administrative requirements in obtaining a reinstatement if your license.
    Law Office of J. Thomas Black, P.C.
    Law Office of J. Thomas Black, P.C. | J. Thomas Black
    Yes, so long as you were not cited for DWI. If it is an ordinary car accident claim, the damages can be discharged in bankruptcy. To get your license back, the bankruptcy must be filed, you must obtain insurance, apply to have your license reinstated and pay a fee.
    Barr, Jones & Associates LLP
    Barr, Jones & Associates LLP | Andrew Brasse
    You would be able to get your license back by filing for bankruptcy. As soon as the bankruptcy case is filed, you will be able to go to the DMV and get the debt released from your license.
    Law Office of Michael Johnson
    Law Office of Michael Johnson | Michael Johnson
    Yes as long you weren't charged with a DUI.
    In Alabama the answer is yes.
    David Kass | David Kass
    So if I understand you right, you want to not pay anything to compensate the accident victim for his/her physical injuries and prop damage plus you have broken NY State law's requirement that you not drive without proper ins., and you want NY State to give you your license back. Are you for teal? Do you really need to ask such a question? The answer is self evident.
    Garner Law Office
    Garner Law Office | Daniel Garner
    The answer to this question is very dependent upon all the facts. If the only reason you lost your license was non-payment of a citation or non-payment of a judgment, then a bankruptcy would force the state to reinstate your license. But if there were other reasons for losing your license, it might not happen so quickly. You could try contacting the motor vehicles department to ask them. But if you're over your head in debt anyway, might as well look into filing bankruptcy (many attorneys offer free consultations) and ask the attorney's opinion on the reinstatement of the license after discussing all the facts.