Will I be able to get a job after my probation period has ended? 8 Answers as of August 04, 2011

Part of the agreemant was that they will be able to reduce this to a misdemeanor after probation ended. Probation ended about 7 years ago "in 05". Can I get my real estate license after this gets reduced and expunged?

Lowenstein Law Office
Lowenstein Law Office | Anthony Lowenstein
It depends on several factors.
Difficult to answer as you do not say what "this" is. Expungements do not get you a job. All an expungement does is allow you to say to a prospective employer that you have not been convicted. Unless the employer is a governmental agency OR you are applying or a license such as a real estate license. Suggest you see an attorney who regularly represents applicants before or in trouble with state licensing boards.
Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation
Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation | Paul Wallin
A real estate license is a state issued license. Even when you get this expunged and reduced to a misdemeanor, assuming you can do that, the conviction can still be viewed by the Dept of Real Estate. They will likely want to hold a hearing to determine if you should get your license back.
You may want to speak with someone who is an expert in licensing issues. Or potentially someone at the real estate license board.
Law Office of Edward J. Blum
Law Office of Edward J. Blum | Edward J. Blum
So called expungement, which is actually dismissal under Penal Code 1203.4, does not effect your application for a government license. All it means is that once you reduce the felony to a misdemeanor (PC 17b) and get a PC 1203.4 dismissal, you do not have to answer 'yes' to the question have you ever been convicted of a misdemeanor on job applications.
    Not sure about your real estate license, but you can certainly petition the court for expungement, as long as you successfully completed probation, am not currently on any other probation, and have no criminal case(s) pending. Contact an attorney to do the expungement.
    Probably BUT DON'T LIE. If the form asks if you have ever been convicted of a felony say YES as expungement and reduction to a misdemeanor doesn't count when dealing with licensing agencies. If you say NO they will not give you a license.
    Getting a job is up to any employer you pursue. You can consider getting the conviction expunged; which would help in obtaining and keeping employment. Many convictions can be 'expunged' from criminal records by proper application and Petition to the court, but only if there was no felony prison time sentenced whether served or not, and if it was not for certain listed Sexual and Domestic Violence crimes, and if all terms of sentencing and at least one year of probation are completed, and if there are no new charges pending. If successful, the conviction would be retroactively reduced to a misdemeanor, if necessary, and then withdrawn and the charges dismissed. Expungement does not clear, 'remove' or erase the conviction, but merely changes the record to show 'conviction reversed and dismissed by expungement'. When applying for a job in the private sector, you generally do not have to disclose a conviction if it was expunged. However, the conviction is still a 'prior' or 'strike' for purposes of repeat offense, and must be disclosed on any application for government and professional employment and licensing, bonding, security clearance, etc. The licensing agency and employer then can decide whether you are barred from licensing or employment because of the conviction. If youre serious about doing this, and you think you qualify under those rules, feel free to contact me for the legal help you'll need.