Will I be able to get a fiance visa as an adult if we marry? 8 Answers as of October 06, 2011

My girlfriend is seventeen. We would like to apply for a fiance visa to bring her to the US. That would only give us 3 months to marry. Her birthday will not be until next year (2012) in September. Can we marry and if we do would the US recognize her as a legal adult?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
All American Immigration
All American Immigration | Tom Youngjohn
Technically, as long as you can legally marry in the jurisdiction/State you are in, that's all that matters. But you'd really want to have an experienced immigration attorney handling this case. It's always smart to get a second opinion.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 10/6/2011
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
Yes you can marry with her parents' consent. I would have that in writing. If you have a valid marriage elsewhere in the world, that marriage would be seen as valid in the US as well. Therefore, you will be able to proceed in the normal way. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/16/2011
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Reza Athari
Depending on the state you will get married, some require parents permission. If married legally, no problem to adjust status.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 9/14/2011
Joseph Law Firm
Joseph Law Firm | Jeff Joseph
The marriage must be legal in the place where the marriage took place. If the marriage is legal in the place where it took place, and it is not contrary to public policy, then USCIS will recognize it for immigration purposes.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 9/13/2011
Kazmi & Sakata
Kazmi & Sakata | Harun Kazmi
Right now, the fiance visas are processing in 2 to 3 months. Then, she will go to the Embassy to process. You need to be able to be legally married and thus should wait until she is 18 to file the K1/fiance visa.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/13/2011
    Fong & Associates
    Fong & Associates | William D. Fong
    It depends on the state in which you are marrying. In Texas, you are free to marry if you are over seventeen (17). Between the ages of 14-17, you need parental permission or a court order allowing marriage.
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 9/13/2011
    Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal
    Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal | Alexander Segal
    We would need additional information about you to give an opinion on the matter. It would be advisable to wait until your fianc is 18 to marry especially if there is a substantial age difference between the two of you.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 9/13/2011
    Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C.
    Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C. | David Nabow Soloway
    A U.S. citizen may petition for his fiance to receive a K-1 visa and enter the U.S. to marry. Georgia recognizes a right of a young woman to marry at age 17, and so no immigration-related complication is presented by her being under age 18. [Note: This communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 9/13/2011
Click to View More Answers: