Will I be able to get a California drivers license after getting a DUI? 7 Answers as of February 24, 2012

I was convicted of 2 DUIs in 99 and 2001 but only settled the cases in 2007. (serving jail time, paid fines, etc) and stated my DL suspended for 18 mo. I surrendered my green card and moved back to Europe. The company I work for now wants to relocate me back to California on an L1 visa. Will I be able to drive legally with my European DL and will the suspension be lifted since it's been well over 18 months?

Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
You will not be able to obtain a license until you have completed the 18 month program. You can't start that till you move to Cal.
You can be eligible for a restricted license. You will have to work with an attorney to get one.
Not automatically. You have to show proof that you have completed the 18 month SB-38 alcohol program, among other requirements, before the DMV will issue you a license. If your European DL has the same name and DOB, then you will still be arrested for driving on a suspended license, since it is the name/identity that matters, not whether it is a California or European DL.
No one can answer that without reviewing the court and DMV sentencing and orders that apply. IF all you had to do was go 18 months on suspension, no classes or other terms to be followed, then when that time is up you should be able to apply for reissuance. No, your out of area license would not be valid to overcome the suspension if it is still in place. Plus, any such non- CA license is only good for 10 days after taking residence in CA.
Law Office of Andrew Roberts
Law Office of Andrew Roberts | Andrew Stephen Roberts
You might have to get a CA license. Did you do the alcohol school? You will have to file an SR 22. Call me with any questions.
    Law Office of Michael Bialys THE DUI MAN
    Law Office of Michael Bialys THE DUI MAN | Michael Bialys
    You will probably have to contact DMV to make certain that you have fulfilled all the conditions.
    It's my understanding that at the time you were convicted of the DUI's, you had a CA drivers license. In regards to the 18 month suspension based on the 2nd DUI conviction, did that occur in California? If so, then you will not be able to get a California license reinstated until you complete an 18 month course. If you already did that (and you meet some other qualifications paying a re-issuance fee), then you can get your CA license again. Contact me through 1duilawyer.com if you would like to discuss in more detail. In short, If you did not complete the 18 month class as required by the court and DMV, then your CA license will still be suspended. If you get pulled over, that will be an issue, even if you have a valid license from Europe (unless the police officer does not pick up on the CA license suspension). I would not risk that though. A 14601 (driving on a suspended license) is serious. There may be some options here for work restricted license options that I can discuss with you. Feel free to contact me at your convenience.