Will I be able to file police reports as evidence in Colorado? 1 Answers as of February 11, 2011

I am facing a misdemeanor charge for confronting someone who tried to intimidate another driver by driving their car at them like they were going to hit them, then stopping at the very last second. I have been accused of something which is easy to disprove due to the police reports that were filled out. Now my public defender says that police reports aren't evidence and the whole trial will depend only on testimony. Is there a way to get her to have these reports admitted so the other side can't change their tune about things they said happened right after the incident?

Miller & Harrison, LLC
Miller & Harrison, LLC | David Harrison
You should rely on the expertise of your public defender - they are excellent lawyers and know what they are doing. A police report on it's own is not admissible. It might be that a witness can be impeached by either the contents of the police report or the testimony of the police officer who wrote the report.