Will I be able to become a citizen if I am on welfare? 1 Answers as of March 13, 2011

I have 5 kids and one on the way I'm looking for a job no luck yet. Will welfare affect me to become a US citizen? I have been on welfare for 3 years.

You are absolutely eligible to apply for U.S. citizenship. The thing that exists is that you and your sponsor are responsible for any cash welfare for you, if you have been a green card holder for less than 5 years. The sponsor/petitioner, who completed and signed an I-864 Affidavit of Support is responsible to repay any welfare paid for up to 10 years, unless you get citizenship. However, you are not responsible for welfare, especially health benefits, for your children. I would need to know much more about your case to help, but if you are willing to set up a phone or in-person appointment, I would be glad to meet with you, and possibly help. E-mail or phone me.