Will having a DUI have any effect on my residency renewal? 6 Answers as of July 14, 2011

I need to renew my residency card next year. I have a DUI and am worried of being denied because of my DUI. My girlfriend and I have 2 children together and plan to marry but we are wondering if it would be beneficial for my renewal to marriage sooner rather than later.

It depends if this is your 1st DUI or your 5th and what else you have on your criminal record. Most of the time, a DUI by itself is not an issue especially if you completed the terms of the Court's order, usually probation. If marrying your USC girlfriend is what you both plan to do anyway and you're looking to see if it will be beneficial in terms of immigration benefits, then sooner is always better than later. Good luck!
Law Office of J Thomas Smith
Law Office of J Thomas Smith | J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.
Probably not. However, If you have been convicted of a crime and placed on probation or parole, you cannot be approved for citizenship unless you complete your probation or parole. This is true, not matter how minor the crime. A decision on your application will be postponed until you complete probation or parole, or your may be asked to apply at a late date.
441 Legal Group, Inc.
441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
No it won't.
As long as it was not a felony DUI and no one was injured then you should be fine. If felony DUI or injuries from your DUI (accident for example) then you should definitely consult an immigration attorney. Make sure you have complied with all requirements of the Court related to the DUI and criminal conviction. If you are not yet convicted then you should have your criminal attorney consult with an immigration counsel before you agree to any plea.
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law | Christian Schmidt
A single DUI in California with no aggravating factors will not prevent you from renewing your resident card. A marriage will not make a difference.
    Kevin Bluitt, Attorney at Law
    Kevin Bluitt, Attorney at Law | Kevin Bluitt
    Any arrests are a cause for concern when dealing with USCIS. Generally, one DUI with no other arrests should not cause a problem. However, I urge you to see an attorney first before filing the I-90 renewal. Better safe than sorry.